Re: RDF vocabulary definitions

At 08:44 21/11/2002 -0800, Richard H. McCullough wrote:
>It was my impression that "instance" was deprecated, to be replaced by
>"individual".
>For example, see
><http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-owl-features-20020729/>http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-owl-features-20020729/
>

>However, looking at the OWL document again, I see it uses both terms:
>     "Individuals may described as an instance of a Class ..."

If we are talking about RDF, please can we use RDF's terminology.  It might
be a good idea to note any confusion of teminilogy to both WG's comment
lists though.

[...]

>Here's a simple definition of "individual" and "class".
>An individual is a single concrete existent.

I'd have a little trouble with that I think.  The real number Pi is a
resource.  Is that a single *concrete* existent?  The set of real numbers
is a resource - is that a *single* concrete existent?  The set of rational
numbers is a resource - is that  a single concrete *existent*.

>A class is an abstract group (a mental integration) of two or more similar
>individuals.

RDFS classes can be empty or have just one member and those members do not
have to be individuals by your definition.

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say here.  Are you saying that
RDFS's use of the term class is different to the way you use the term?  If
so, fine, I agree.  It also different to the way that Java uses the term,
so I'm not too bothered so long as we are all clear which variant we
are  discussing at any one time.  If you are saying therefore its wrong,
then that is another matter.

Brian