Re: RDF vocabulary definitions

From: Richard H. McCullough <rhm@cdepot.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 08:44:26 -0800
To: "David Menendez" <zednenem@psualum.com>, "Brian McBride" <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: "RDF-Interest" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
It was my impression that "instance" was deprecated, to be replaced by "individual".
For example, see http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-owl-features-20020729/

However, looking at the OWL document again, I see it uses both terms:
    "Individuals may described as an instance of a Class ..."
This is NOT a good way to describe the relation between Individuals and Classes.
The actual concept-formation process is: Classes are formed by mentally integrating Individuals
(and some Classes are formed by mentally differentiating wider Classes).

re: members & instances -- what's the difference, if any?

I recommend replacing all "instance" by "member".

Here's a simple definition of "individual" and "class".
An individual is a single concrete existent.
A class is an abstract group (a mental integration) of two or more similar individuals.
Dick McCullough
knowledge := man do identify od existent done
knowledge haspart list of proposition