Re: Contexts? (again)

From: Seth Russell <seth@robustai.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 07:49:39 -0800
To: Miles Sabin <miles@milessabin.com>
CC: www-rdf-interest@w3.org
Miles Sabin wrote:

>Sandro Hawke wrote,
>

>>My current suggested truth predicate is WellFormedAndTrue, where
>>being well-formed includes being able to be re-written in a
>>truth-preserving manner to a form without negated self-references;
>>this is (as far as I can tell) what KIF3 had, before they took it out
>>as being unnecessary for the intended apps.
>>

>Doesn't this just give us another variant of the liar?
>
>  This statement is not WellFormedAndTrue

I think that paradoxes can be avoided in RDF applications by not
allowing truth predicates to reference the graph which contains them.
 So you can say anything about a graph inside the graph, but you just
can't talk about whether it is true or false.   I believe that
<http://robustai.net/sailor/paradox.txt> expressess the liar in
syntactically valid RDF.    Can anyone express the liar in
*syntactically valid  RDF* by  making up your own truth predicate, but
assert that predicate outside the RDF enclosure of which it references?
 Of course we need to be able to have a uri for a graph to even start to
talk about doing that.

language: semenglish
<http://robustai.net/sailor/paradox.txt>;
    type Paradox;