Re: RDF vocabulary definitions

From: David Menendez <zednenem@psualum.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 17:16:40 -0500
To: "Richard H. McCullough" <rhm@cdepot.net>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
At 1:31 PM -0800 2002-11-20, Richard H. McCullough wrote:
>David
>I appreciate your effort.  I'm afraid I was erroneously venting my
>frustration on you.  I apologize for that.

Apology accepted.

>I have been frustrated in my attempts to pin down the meaning of
>"Class".  There are so many documents that I have trouble finding
>one which addresses my concerns, and almost as much trouble
>re-finding it later.

Something for the working group to consider, I imagine. One problem
is that the  "official" documents are out of date and/or inaccurate.

>Just referring to your summary, perhaps you didn't recognize one of
>its consequents:
>
>     hasSex  type  Property    implies    Property  subClassOf  Class

I believe you mean:

   eg:hasSex rdf:type rdf:Property.
implies
   rdf:Property rdf:type rdfs:Class.

I wrote that rdf:Property and rdfs:Class are instances of rdfs:Class.
   I(rdf:Property) is in ICEXT(I(rdfs:Class))
   I(rdfs:Class) is in ICEXT(I(rdfs:Class))

This is not the same as saying they are subclasses of rdfs:Class.
   ICEXT(I(rdf:Property)) subset of ICEXT(I(rdfs:Class))  # probably not true
   ICEXT(I(rdfs:Class)) subset of ICEXT(I(rdfs:Class))

As it happens rdfs:Class is a subclass of rdfs:Class, but nothing in
RDFS suggests that rdf:Property is a subclass of rdfs:Class.

If you're seeing something in what I wrote that implies that
rdf:Property is a subclass of rdfs:Class, please point it out to me.

--
Dave Menendez - zednenem@psualum.com - http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem/