RE: definitionOf

From: Jon Hanna <jon@spin.ie>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 10:48:02 -0000
To: "RDF-Interest" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

> Individuals are directly perceived; that an individual
> exists cannot be denied.  Species are abstractions from
> reality; a species (or more generally, any concept) is
> a "floating abstraction" if there are no individuals to tie
> it to reality.  In other words, if a species cannot be
> "reduced" to individuals, it does not exist.

Then in the context of the web, where we do not obtain the resource but only
statements about it and representations of it, do we have any individuals at
all, or at least anything that we can say is an individual with any degree
of confidence?

This is stepping into metaphysics though, and metaphysics is a pastime :)