Re: RDF vocabulary definitions

At 9:17 AM -0800 2002-11-19, Richard H. McCullough wrote:
>The two triples have the same meaning; either one implies the other.
><_:MyClass> <rdf:type> <rdfs:Class>
><_:MyClass> <rdfs:subClassOf> <rdfs:Class>

This is not my understanding of how RDFS defines these terms.

As a practical example, if I declare a class "Car", I would say:

   eg:Car rdf:type rdfs:Class.

If this implied that eg:Car is a subclass of rdfs:Class, then it
would mean that any instance of eg:Car is also a class.

Given:
   eg:my_car rdf:type eg:Car.
   eg:Car rdf:type rdfs:Class.
Implies:
   eg:Car rdfs:subClassOf rdfs:Class. # according to what you just said
   eg:my_car rdf:type rdfs:Class.     # according to rdfs9

RDFS distinguishes between classes and class extensions. You could
create a system where my car is a class consisting of all cars that
are my car, but that's not how RDFS does it.
--
Dave Menendez - zednenem@psualum.com - http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem/