RE: The semantics of blank nodes

[from an HTML mail, imagine there's little > in there]
-----Original Message-----
From: www-rdf-interest-request@w3.org
[mailto:www-rdf-interest-request@w3.org]On Behalf Of MDaconta@aol.com
Sent: 14 November 2002 17:13
To: fmanola@mitre.org; www-rdf-interest@w3.org
Subject: Re: The semantics of blank nodes
[snip]
How is an RDF application processing this to know that the URI on
line 5 is an accessible web page but the URI on line 9 is just an identity?
Especially when both specify http: as the protocol.  I know this is off
topic
but some pointers on this would be helpful.  One way I can think of is
to add the <dc:type> property to the web page and then you can assume
anything without a dc:type is just an identity (not a foolproof technique
unless
the dublin core folks add a dc:type value for "identifier" or "name").
[end quote]

At the level of RDF both URIs are "just an identity". I agree that it would
be useful for many applications to know if you could retrieve a
representation (note that a resource is not the same as the bytes that get
sent down the wire - see
http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#resource-interactions), however there may not
be a good general way of doing this, and certainly it should happen at a
level above RDF.