  From: Graham Klyne
  To: Richard H. McCullough
  Cc: Danny Ayers ; RDF-Interest
  Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2002 8:14 AM
  Subject: Re: Contexts (not again!)

  At 06:06 AM 11/14/02 -0800, Richard H. McCullough wrote:
  >I'm having trouble understanding your notion of "context".

  As I am yours.   The term has been much abused (and I don't excuse myself).

  Because it's working software, Notation 3 is probably a useful common
  ground, with its notions of formulae (roughly: collections of statements)
  and context "Context is the relationship between a statement and the
  formula it is directly part of" [1].

  I don't fully understand the last bit, but the idea of context as a
  relationship rather than a thing seems to sidestep the discussion of
  forward/backward view of these things.

  #g
  --

  [1] http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Notation3