Re: alt container

From: <MDaconta@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 13:38:05 EST
To: jon@spin.ie, www-rdf-interest@w3.org
In a message dated 11/4/2002 3:49:35 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
jon@spin.ie writes:

> ><rdf:RDF
> >  xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
> >  xmlns:e="http://example.org/onto/person#">
> >  <rdf:Description rdf:about="e:John">
> >   <e:lies>
> ><rdf:alt rdf:ID="degrees">
> ><rdf:li>often</rdf:li>
> ><rdf:li>sometimes </rdf:li>
> ><rdf:li>rarely </rdf:li>
> ></rdf:alt>
> >   </e:lies>
> >  </rdf:Description>
> ></rdf:RDF>
>
> This is obviously untrue. rdf:Alt (the A should be capitalised) gives a
> list
> of alternatives of which any can be used. Generally you'd either not make
> the decision, but rather pass the complete list of alternatives on to the
> next layer of processing, or else pick the first one that is usable (a
> criteria that obviously depends on the application). As such "often" and
> "rarely" generally would not belong in an Alt together.

I know the above RDF does not correctly express the intent.  That's
what the post was about.  The question was can we declaratively
pick one alternative from the list of alternatives ... i.e. use the
alternatives
as an enumerated list.  Your suggestion about passing the list to
the next layer of processing seems to imply the answer is "can't
be done in RDF."  Which is ok, it just limits the utility of the Alt
container.

 - Mike
Michael C. Daconta
Director, Web & Technology Services