rdf:alt container

From: <MDaconta@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 13:49:38 EST
To: www-rdf-interest@w3.org
Hi All,

I am having some problems with the alt container.  Specifically, how
do we state which alternative (from the group) we choose?

For example, let's say I want to state:

:John :lies "often".

Where often is a literal value that can be one of: "often", "sometimes" or
So I tried to write this in RDF using the alt container like this:

  <rdf:Description rdf:about="e:John">
    <rdf:alt rdf:ID="degrees">
        <rdf:li>sometimes </rdf:li>
        <rdf:li>rarely </rdf:li>

So, while the rdf:alt container gives me my list of alternatives --
I do not see how to choose one of the alternatives.  If I eliminate
the alt container and just choose one ... how do I state it is one
of the enumerated alternatives?

Or is this something we have to do with the RDFS range of
a property?

Thanks in advance,

 - Mike
Michael C. Daconta