RE: MalformedURLException thrown when reading into model

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 13:16:53 +0100
To: "RDFInterest" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

(Changed forum from jena-dev)

Dan Brickley
> Yup, using rdf:about='' within RDF documents as a syntactic
> convention for
> self-reference was something that I proposed back in the old
> Model'n'Syntax WG and have been using ever since. Assuming
> there's a base
> URI it's a handy trick and fits OK with RFC 2396. In the RDFPic case,
> where images with this embedded RDF might be floating around the net
> without an obvious base URI, it might not be quite right.

In RDF2 we could convert rdf:about="" into a bnode, and then have #frags
as links between  bnodes and other bnodes.

e.g. allow any unicode string as a property name having extension
linking a resource with an absolute uri to a resource having the
appropriate uri-ref e.g.

<http://exampl.org/> "foo" <http://exampl.org/#foo> .

(by definition)

then if we have no base

rdf:about=""

translates to a bnode _:doc

and

rdf:about="#foo"

translates to _:x and the triple

_:doc "foo" _:x .

This would allow the about="" convention and rdf:ID to all work in the
absence of a base URI.

Jeremy