Re: Query and storage

From: Graham Klyne <GK@NineByNine.org>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 11:23:52 +0100
To: Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>, "Seaborne, Andy" <Andy_Seaborne@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, www-rdf-interest@w3.org
At 10:06 AM 5/24/02 +0100, Dave Reynolds wrote:
>This is particularly significant when doing remote query because it not only
>multiplies up the server time but it multiplies up the data that needs to be

Aha!  I think I see where you're coming from here.  I think that in the end
one still want to be able to extract (some of) the variable bindings, but
that could be done as a purely local (re)query on the returned graph?

(I have already recognized the combinatorial issue as a potential problem
with my approach, but for slightly different reasons.  In some cases, in
the simple application I developed, I really do want the software to return
multiple combinations of variable bindings.  But there's a fine line
between getting enough and getting too much.  I've addressed this by
splitting up the query into a number of sub-queries that are joined-up by
application logic - that's a rather ad-hoc solution.)

Graham Klyne