Re: Innovation, community and queries

From: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 09:44:20 -0400
To: "ext Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@comcast.net>, RDF Interest <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
On 2002-05-23 9:03, "ext Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@comcast.net> wrote:

> I think that it will become increasingly important to be able to deal with
> patterns of statements rather than single statements or single types of
> statements.  Think of 5-way joins in a relational database, for example.  Or
> a simple case would be to retrieve statements where there is a specific
> predicate and the object is also the subject of a statement whose predicate
> is a label and whose value is specified.
> I think of stereotyped structures of statements like these as idioms.  There
> will be a great many idioms, and applications may well be specialized for
> specific ones.  A reified statement could be considered a kind of simple
> idiom.
> A query language will be needed that can effectively work with idioms.
> Simple idioms, with little depth, can be handled already by some query
> langaguages (I think, but haven't tried any of them), but I think more
> support for stereotyped structures will be necessary.

I agree, and if those idioms are expressed in RDF, then why not
also the QL?

Property values may be recursively defined by anonymous node, e.g.

Target must have a dc:creator which has a first name of "John",
a last name of "Doe" and have an age that is greater than 50
and a spouse who's first name is "Jane":

Such a QL could support idioms of arbitrary depth, where
the query is simply a template to match against the RDF graph.

And folks who already know RDF can easily learn and use the
ontology to express such queries without having to learn
yet-another-language -- not to mention the benefits of being
able to use RDF and XML tools to express/view their queries.