RE: XSLT transforms application/xml+rdf to RDF database API calls

From: Evan Lenz <elenz@xyzfind.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 14:15:28 -0800
To: "Dan Brickley" <danbri@w3.org>, "Eric Prud'hommeaux" <eric@w3.org>
Cc: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>, <w3c-semweb-ad@w3.org>
I cringed somewhat when Eric posted this, because I knew it was a quick hack
and a short-term, between-conference-meetings collaboration between someone
who knows RDF and someone who knows XSLT. Needless to say, a complete
implementation will require someone who knows both :-)

So I'm not ready to volunteer until I learn the RDF syntax. But it certainly
remains on my list of potentially interesting things to hit with my favorite
hammer (after examining prior art, of course). I do tend to be the
"completer-finisher" type when it comes to these things.

P.S. If I already got a beer for this hack, what would a complete
implementation get me? ;-)

	XSLT RDF Parser
	From: Jason Diamond (jason@injektilo.org)
	Date: Mon, Sep 11 2000
	see also http://www.injektilo.org/rdf/rdft.html
	with a slight variation at
	...to support N-Triples (Jason -- did this get folded into copy on your

	Snail - Excruciatingly Slow RDF Parsing, Jeremy Carroll
	(interestingly different).

	The current implementation has no parseType="Literal" or
	parseType="daml:list" or typedNode ID=foo support. We'll get to that.

Getting *at least one* full-featured RDF parser in pure XSLT (whether via
API calls or by transform into an XML or text triple syntax) would be
extremely useful. I want one for my Ruby RDF tools, for example.

So what would it take to get someone to finish this off? Beer? A W3C T-shirt
bribe? These things can be arranged... Maybe this would suit a student
project? I'd be happy to help supervise one if anyone on this list has a
student who'd be interested in production-gradifying some of this stuff.

(your RDF Interest Group chair who thinks its time we shipped Semantic Web