   exponentially with he depth of context nesting.]]

From: "Graham Klyne" <GK@ninebynine.org>

> With the first level of nesting, I agree that the number of triples for N
> statements increases to 4N.
>
> But with the next level of nesting, in the framework I was describing,
each
> of those 4N triples itself becomes 4-fold, for a total, of 16N.  Next
level
> of nesting gives 64N.  etc.

No, no,  no !!!   Mathematically, nesting cannot work that way.  Certainly a
set, the quintessential  container,  doesn't work that way.   The act of
putting a RDF triple in a container must reify it only because that's the
only way you can deal with it as an object; and containing something is
dealing with it as an object.  Once contained, anything inside the container
becomes *opaque* to everything outside that container.  So nothing you do to
a container (for example pointing to it from somewhere else, or containing
it again) can ever change whatever it is inside that container.   You've got
it that containing a container actually changes (in some bizarre way) what's
inside that container.

If the MT says that is the way RDF container's work, then the MT should be
changed ... imho, of course.

... or have I misunderstood ?

This train has been transfered from rdf-comments as per Brian's request, see
prior history there:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2002JanMar/0220.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2002JanMar/0222.html

Seth Russell