RE: [ann] Semantic Web Server 1.1 Released

From: Graham Moore <gdm@empolis.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 14:50:53 -0000
To: "Uche Ogbuji" <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com>
Cc: <semanticweb@yahoogroups.com>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>, <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>

Hi Uche,

I think I should have been more specific and stated that it was, I think, the first exposure of an RDF model and related functions as a SOAP Service. i.e. we have defined and made public the WSDL for accessing functionality and data structures associated with an RDF model.

In all my searching I havent come across a WSDL definition of a RDF Service and Data Model - but the web is a big place. I have seen a lot of work - including yours, to use RDF to express WSDL. But no one has defined the RDF model in WSDL. I did search the 4Suite docs for something equivalent,but was unable to find it - my apologies if its been there all the time.

The WSDL for the SWS RDF Service is located at http://www.semanticwebserver.com/papers/sws.wsdl. I'm not suggesting that this is rocket science - just that I havent seen it defined before. I think this small file is a very enabling piece of technology.

We define
	Types :
	    1. What a statement looks like
	    2. A statement set

	    1. create statement
	    2. delete statement
	    3. query statements

In a way that can be understood and utilised by external systems.

There is more refinement to come in this interface - but it is a start and really begins to allow Semantic Web software to interchange RDF and query RDF models. XML is not a functional service it is merely syntax. We need models and operations defined in terms of those models.

I would like to see the RDF community define what this WSDL service and data structure should really look like.