Re: Why is RDF such a tough sell?

From: Sampo Syreeni <decoy@iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 01:20:17 +0300 (EEST)
To: <MDaconta@aol.com>
cc: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002 MDaconta@aol.com wrote:

>I must be missing something.  We talk about "plug in" vocabularies -- I
>assume via RDFS.  So what is the difference between needing to know 1000
>RDFS vocabularies to do anything useful and knowing 1000 XML Schema

The point is, middleware apps (like syndiaction) do not need to know much.
However, they do need to be able to deal with data in a unified fashion,
and perhaps understand the data just as far as it takes to filter it. RDF
facilitates that, XSchema doesn't.

>I would love to see a sample program that does something useful without
>knowing a vocabulary beyond what RDF provides.

How about the fairly simple N3 ruleset which filters anything except RSS
out of a stream of RDF? Highly useful, if a syndication client wants RSS
only. Considerably more difficult to implement in an environment where all
we see are (arbitrarily mixed, via Namespaces) XSchemas.

Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - mailto:decoy@iki.fi, tel:+358-50-5756111