Re: Why is RDF such a tough sell?

From: Seth Russell <seth@robustai.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 13:07:26 -0700
To: <MDaconta@aol.com>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

From: <MDaconta@aol.com>

> I must be missing something.  We talk about "plug in" vocabularies -- I
> assume via RDFS.  So what is the difference between needing to
> know 1000 RDFS vocabularies to do anything useful and knowing 1000
> XML Schema vocabularies?

With different XML vocabularies, you need to write different programs for
each vocabulary to do anything useful.  With RDF vocabularies, many of the
useful things you may want to do will share the same methods.  For example,
one could write just one inference engine to calculate entailments .... try
that with XML.

Seth Russell