Re: Implementing statement grouping, contexts, quads and scopes

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Jonathan Borden wrote:

>Sure if we accept N3 this is no problem but that's the point: N3
>formulas, when represented as triples, use collections of unasserted
>triples.

If I'm not entirely mistaken, Patrick is suggesting that all those
unasserted N3 triples (that is, inner contexts) be modelled as RDF-reified
-- and as such, unasserted -- triples. One could then use those as a pure
data model to carry semantics which a higher layer, such a OWL, could
interpret according to its own rules.

The rule Patrick gave interprets a log:implies between two sets of reified
statements as asserting the second set when the first set is satisfied
among the currently asserted triples at the basis RDF level.  Granted, the
rule was coded in N3, utilizing N3 contexts. But it needn't be. It's quite
likely that the rule wouldn't in fact be spelled out at all in an OWL app,
or if it was, it would be modelled entirely as a bunch of reified
statements (and maybe Containers linking them into something resembling N3
contexts).

AFAICS, this *is* a solution, but an extremely ugly and bloated one.

Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - mailto:decoy@iki.fi, tel:+358-50-5756111