Re: Q to implementers: Resource identifiers - XML Names and/or(concatenated) URIs? (was RE: rdfs.isDefinedBy...)

[Patrick Stickler]

> On 2002-06-09 23:09, "ext Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@comcast.net> wrote:
> > There must be only one way to go from URI references to prefixes and
back
> > again. That way should be compatible with XML Namespaces.  It should
always
> > be possible to use prefixes as aliases for a "base" URI to make it
easier to
> > read and write RDF/XML by hand (I say "base" in quotes to distinguish it
> > from "xml:base", since the two may not turn out to be the same).  After
all,
> > it's done all the time in N3, why not everywhere?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Tom P
>
> The fact is that qnames and URIs are two competing schemes for global
> naming, and URIs do not support the structure and contextual semantics
> defined for qnames -- therefore a fully bidirectional mapping without
> loss of information is just not possible. URIs will always represent less
> information than a qname.
>
> The solution IMO is for the RDF/XML serialization should be redone in such
> a manner that *no* qnames are used to denote resources which are denoted
> by URIs in the graph. I.e., do away with any need to perform a qname<>URI
> mapping. Resources are ever and only identified with URIs, whether in
> RDF/XML or the graph.

I think of this as  a purist's approach and although I can sympathize with
it, and realize that it is the easiest to get unambiguous, I think there's a
real place for a capability of useful aliases.  Seems to me that the
namespaces ought to be able to work for that.

I do agree with you this far - it ought to be possible to avoid using XML
namespaces and prefixes in RDF/XML syntax if you want to.

Cheers,

Tom P