Re: Q to implementers: Resource identifiers - XML Names and/or (concatenated) URIs? (was RE: rdfs.isDefinedBy...)

> On 2002-06-07 9:51, "ext Jeremy Gray" <jeremy@jeremygray.ca> wrote:
> > ...I would suggest (among other things) ceasing
> > use of the term "QName", especially in sentences like "QNames are just
> > punctuation" :) one which I've seen tossed about a bit recently. In fact,
> > even within the scope of serialization such a statement is disappointing at
> > best, frightening at worst.
>
> I'm responsible for pushing the "truth" that *namespace prefixes*
> (not qnames) are punctuation, which they are.

Actually, XML NS 1.0 is "responsible" for that.

But it has pretty much collapsed into wishful thinking.  Given the state of
things in DOM Level 2, XSLT, W3C XML Schemas, SOAP, and many other places,
namespace prefixes have long ceased to be mere punctuation in the XML world.

I saw this danger as soon as I beheld DOm L2 (for some reason XSLT didn't
bother me as much at first).  Recently the problem has been the topic of
frequent debate and hand-wringing.

Track chair, XML/Web Services One (San Jose, Boston):
http://www.xmlconference.com/
DAML Reference - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/05/01/damlref.html
The Languages of the Semantic Web - http://www.newarchitectmag.com/documents/s=
2453/new1020218556549/index.html