Re: rdfs:isDefinedBy (Was Re: Representing DCMI semantics asRDFschemas versus Web pages)

On 2002-06-07 12:36, "ext Patrick Stickler" <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
wrote:

> Well, there are two kinds of or levels of RDF validation. The more
> basic level of validation is the RDF syntax, and that is what the W3C
> RDF Validator checks.
>
> The higher level of RDF validation is RDF Schema validation, which tests
> that range and domain constraints match the subjects and objects of
> actual statements. The W3C RDF validator does not perform such checks.

A third level of validation, which I probably forgot to mention due
to my subconscious trying to block out all thought of it ;-) and
which is particulary unforgivable since I'm a co-editor of the RDF
Datatyping specification) is datatyping validation, whereby literal
values are validated according to all associated datatypes (e.g. is the
literal "000.5" a valid xsd:integer, etc.

Whereas the first two levels of validation can be done "generically"
based solely on the RDF/XML instance and RDF graph respectively,
this third level of datatyping validation requires knowledge that is
not expressed in the RDF graph -- namely the definitions of the
datatypes themselves, and thus must be performed by an application
external to RDF, which understands the semantics of the datatypes
in question.

Cheers,

Patrick