Re: N3 and N-Triples (was: RDF in HTML: Approaches)

From: Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 18:00:47 -0600
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
cc: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>, me@aaronsw.com, www-rdf-interest@w3.org

> N-Triples is very handy for testing parsers, and quick-hack pipes
> into Perl scripts. But it is unreadably verbose, impossible to skim
> accurately, and not integrated into the rest of the XML-oriented modern
> world. Promoting N-Triples as the best way of exchanging RDF in the wild
> is bad for RDF, bad for XML, and bad for Web interop.
>
> Aaron, I understand that you don't like the RDF/XML syntax, but please
> keep some perspective in your critiques. It is nowhere near as bad as you
> make out. There are parsers available in most every language, and a
> cleaned up syntax and test cases that make these more reliable.
>
> The Web community, and the entire computing industry, have settled on XML
> as a basis for data interchange. Maybe they're wrong, but that's a battle
> no longer worth fighting. Dragging RDF further still from the XML
> mainstream would be extremely ill-advised.

<aol:me-too>As always, Dan, very well said, and very well reasoned</aol:me-too>

Of course I do tend to side more with Patrick in the isDefineBy debate  ;-)

I hope to pitch in when I have a moment.

Track chair, XML/Web Services One (San Jose, Boston):
http://www.xmlconference.com/
DAML Reference - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/05/01/damlref.html
The Languages of the Semantic Web - http://www.newarchitectmag.com/documents/s=
2453/new1020218556549/index.html