Re: Modelling Resumes in RDF(S) - work in progress

From: Thomas B. Passin <tpassin@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 09:14:57 -0400
To: RDF Interest <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

[Patrick Stickler]

> Choosing URIs as values allows one to localize the interface
> using alternate labels in other languages. Literal values would
> be less internationally oriented.
>
> E.g.
>
>    <cv:Sex rdf:about="voc:blackeye.vsaa.lv/cv/sex/male">
>       <rdfs:label xml:lang="en">Male</rdfs:label>
>       <rdfs:label xml:lang="fi">Mies</rdfs:label>
>    </cv:Sex>

I don't understand what triples would be produced by these statements.  It's
my general lack of understanding about how xml:lang plays with everything
else.  I'd appreciate some enlightenment.

Each rdfs:label represents the same kind of property (with the same URI),
and you can't hang a modifier or property off a predicate.  But you also
can't have a property on a literal.  Now if there were an anonymous node for
each label, with a language property alomg with the literal, that would
work, but the above does not define any bnodes.

I could also see creating subproperties of rdfs:label, like rdfs:label-eng,
but that wasn't done above either.

So how does this work?

Cheers,

Tom P