Re: Common RDF parser bug?

From: Roland Schwaenzl <Roland.Schwaenzl@mathematik.Uni-Osnabrueck.DE>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 12:42:04 +0100 (MET)
To: barstow@mediaone.net, sandro@w3.org
Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

> > The following defect report against the W3C's ARP-based RDF Validator:
> >
> >  [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-validator/2002Jan/0304.html
> >
> > suggests a violation of the following part of M&S:
> >
> > [[
> > When a resource represents a reified statement; that is, it has an
> > RDF:type property with a value of RDF:Statement, then that resource
> > must have exactly one RDF:subject property, one RDF:object property,
> > and one RDF:predicate property.
> > ]]
> >
> > Since this defect report appears to be accurate and all of the online RDF
> > parsers (ARP, SWI, CARA, Profium, Raptor, RDFStore) listed at:
> >
> >  [2] http://www.w3.org/People/Barstow/#online_parsers
> >
> > seem to have this defect, if you are responsible for a parser listed
> > at [2], you may want to review [1].

The cited sentence seems with a bit difficult grammar.

For CARA we assumed the sentence from the viewpoint of a parser has to
be interpreted in combination with RDF M&S sec6.

The view is also supported by RDF M&S sec4.1. It asserts "All reified statements
are instances of RDF:Statement". It does not say "are THE instances of RDF:Statement".

In effect this results in:
A resource of type "Statement" represents a reified statement
if and only if it has exactly one subject,object,predicate property.

In case the class "Statement" is supposed to contain exactly the
representatives of reified statements RDF M&S sec 4.1, sec6 should be clarified in
this respect.

Best,
rs