Re: what RDF is not (was ...)

Sandro,

I think there's a lot of justification for this viewpoint in John Sowa's
book Knowledge Representation.  Throughout the book, he goes to some
lengths to show the expressive equivalence of various notations, including
FOL, CGs, Petri nets, and more.  In particular, the tables of a relational
database are shown to be equivalent to the existential-conjunctive (EC)
subset of first order logic (i.e. what can be said with EXISTS, AND and
n-ary predicate expressions).  RDF is similar, except that predicates are
limited to binary form.

(Nit.  I think the comparison between RDF and SQL slightly misses the
point:  SQL is a query language.  I'd say the appropriate comparison is
between RDF and relational tables.)

And I agree with the (implied) conclusion, that RDF is a useful building
block, sufficient for some (limited) purposes, but certainly not for all.

As for the difference between RDF and XML, I'd say the crucial one is that,
lacking semantics, XML has no concept of entailment.  (PFPS' recent work
may change this.)

#g
--

Graham Klyne