RE: [xml-dev] URIs are simply names was:Re:[xml-dev]"Abstract"URIs

From: Manos Batsis <m.batsis@bsnet.gr>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 17:40:54 +0200
To: "Patrick Stickler" <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Cc: "XML DEV" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>, "RDF Interest" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

I guess that if people are interested in this, conversation should take
place in RDF-interest.

Sorry about that; in short, I would like to see RDF having [resource] at
the top of the object hierarchy, where literals are also treated as
subclasses of [resource] and  of some primitive type probably taken by
the xsd namespace. This is common:

 :manos xx:age "22".

How about

"22" aa:typeOf xsd:int

Of cource the above idea crashes when we add this to the picture

:mySweater xx:label "22"

"22" aa:typeOf xsd:string

We have a conflict.

Ok, from scratch. How about this:

:mySweater xx:label xsd.string:22

There are no conflicts; for example

:foo1 xx:size xsd.int:22

:foo2 xx:heightInCm xsd.int:22

:mySweater xx:label xsd.string:22

I'm trying to deal with primitives as unique resources because I see
them as such; the difference is they are not addressable as URLs, since
a string "ab" is unique, as any string or number or any other primitive.
So above, xx:size and xx:heightInCm have the same resource as an object;
that resource is the unique "literal of type int:22".

Would something like the above ban literals as used today in the RDF
model, while introducing the primitive_typing mechanism as most
anticipate it?

Kindest regards,

Manos

PS: no I don't speak n3 so :-)