Re: Wanted: Web services standard (Article)

From: Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 19:01:04 -0700
To: "Hutchison, Nigel" <Nigel.Hutchison@softwareag.com>
cc: "'www-rdf-interest@w3.org'" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>, "Champion, Mike" <Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com>, "Gaertner, Dietmar" <Dietmar.Gaertner@softwareag.com>
> There are a couple of things which make RDF and the Semantic Web difficult
> to sell.
>
> One is that it is a wee bit boring. I've yet to see a presentation about RDF
> which is as interesting as, for instance a Topic maps presentation.

Well, shameless plug ahead, but I've heard this before ("You know, I slept
through graph theory in comp sci, and I don't know why I should care about
graphs on the Web).

I took that as a direct challenge, and I think I have a solution for my
introduction to RDF at XML/Web Services one in San Jose this June (somewhat
craftily titled):

http://www.xmlconference.com/sanjose/speakers2.asp?faculty_code=639

I won't have as much time for it, but I'll have a dry run for the approach at
XML Europe

http://www.xmleurope.com/  (schedule not posted yet)

I'll have slides up on my Web pages afterwards, but they'll be static, and
won't carry the same punch.

Let's see if we can't flavor this tofu.  8-)

4735 East Walnut St, Boulder, CO 80301-2537, USA
XML strategy, XML tools (http://4Suite.org), knowledge management