Re: Namespaces are Simply Punctuation (was Re: [namespaceDocument-8] What should a "namespace document" look like?)

On 2002-02-10 15:31, "ext Bill de hÓra" <dehora@eircom.net> wrote:

>> From: Patrick Stickler [mailto:patrick.stickler@nokia.com]
>>
>>> On 2002-02-07 15:37, "ext Bill de hÓra" <dehora@eircom.net> wrote:
>>
>>> And the alternatives to these hacks being... ;)
>>
>> ... being something that should be explored and determined.
>>
>> If the only known approach is also known to be wrong, that fact that
>> it is the only known approach is not justification for adopting it.
>> Rather we need to look for other options.
>
> Sure. Though is it reasonable to ask a developer community to sit on
> their hands and wait for an architectural edict? It's hard to argue
> convincingly on a point of architecture or engineeering when there are
> no architectural or engineering principles to argue for (yet). I have
> faith in people's ability to migrate to a decent architecture when such
> an architecture becomes evident and compelling. I also hold that good
> architecture arises as we learn from current practice, so I'd prefer to
> let people practice.

For the most part, I agree, though there is the very real truth that
bad habits are hard to break and while we should certainly let folks
practice, we should also be very clear that the present treatment
of namespaces as equating to anything is *not* part of the official
and intended web architecture.

My concern is that this incorrect and non-optimal view is at risk
of being adopted because there is no other option on the table, which
will result in in taking all that much longer and all that much more
effort to introduce a proper solution to the problem.

> In the meantime I think we agree that things suck
> and a better way needs to be found.

Agreed ;-)

Patrick