  From: Danny Ayers
  To: Richard H. McCullough
  Cc: RDF-Interest
  Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2002 2:33 PM
  Subject: RE: KR & Issue/bug tracking terms in RDFS?
     > You seem hesitant to use regular DB software.

    Not hesitant, I simply think that this is a case where RDF offers advantages over e.g. using a relational DB system. An RDB or object DB or whatever might offer similar potential in terms of modelling, and an XML DB might also offer some potential for interoperability with other languages, but RDF allows the modelling plus major interop potential. The fact that the rest of my app uses RDF is also a consideration (!), but not an overriding one - I'm planning on using an RDB for text search stuff, where I think performance might be an issue if I went through RDF.

     > You might try using KR/KE, at least for prototype development.

    Is there a Java API? I could add an interface ;-)

     > KR tuples are a single line of text, with semicolon-separated fields.
     >  Each relation has a KR script (or a Unicon procedure) to define the meaning of its tuples.
     >  Queries of the resulting knowledge base use KR's "form-based" questions.

     > I have personally used KR for:
      >    my family genealogy knowledge base of over 1000 persons
       >   my expense records & summaries
     > The relation definitions for both of these applications are included on my web site.
     >  http://www.volcano.net/~rhm/knowledge/application/Genealogy
     >  http://www.volcano.net/~rhm/knowledge/application/ExpenseRecord

     It certainly looks a versatile system, and it's obvious a lot of  thought & effort has gone into it. But for me to use KR & your apps, it would have to be possible to easily exchange data or otherwise interoperate with it using the (data  & programming) languages in widespread use, and/or offer really significant advantages over other systems. Anything with a Java, Python or Perl API and/or an XML serialization has a head start over everything else in terms of adoption, irrespective of any other merits.

    Cheers,
    Danny.