RE: facts of reality, context, possible worlds

From: Rinke Hoekstra <rinke@lri.jur.uva.nl>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 16:34:13 +0100
To: "'RDF-Interest'" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

| > Kant and some particle physicists claim that
| > consciousness creates reality -- i.e., that
| > their mathematical models ARE reality, and
| > that experimental measurements are only
| > approximations of that reality.  I say that
| > experimental measurements ARE reality, and
| > mathematical models are only approximations
| > of that reality.
|
| I prefer the idea of giving Kant, particle physicists, yourself and Ayn
| Rand
| the tools they need to express their differing opinions about reality and
| then let them battle it out rather than creating a tool out of a single
| view
| of reality.

Good remark.
The thing is, KR has an internalized (implicit) ontology/epistemology, whereas RDF(S) has a minimalist approach: it allows you to make your own ontological commitments. I think it wouldn't be such a big effort to define some constructs in RDF to reflect "standard" constructs of KR.

Regards,

	Rinke

Rinke Hoekstra  rinke@lri.jur.uva.nl
Department of Computer Science & Law