Re: KR and RDF Redux

I think the real point is that we are trying to represent information that
does not have a single canonical form in natural language, so the particular
syntax we use to represent it isn't that important given that it is selected
from among the many that meet the requirements. (There, of course lie the
details wherein the devil hides).

'John takes a walk' uses 'walk' as a noun
'John walks' uses it as a verb.

In some cases there are shades of different meaning, in others they are
equivalent statements. If you have a case where they are meaningfully
different then this discussion isn't getting fine enough and this example
isn't relevant anyway, but it does seem to illustrate the general point.

Cheers

Chaals

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Seth Ladd wrote:

>Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>> journey
>>   by John
>>   from hisHouse
>>   to theStore
>>   purpose
>>     purchase milk
>>
>> (all except the purpose bit is readily available in the work that Dan
>> Connolly, Jim Ley, I and others have done in encoding flight information.
>> Adding a purpose for the journey is a good idea - especially since our use
>> case often involves going to meetings (already expresed as RDF) and the rest
>> seems to be trying to meet friends (fair amount of data available in FOAF)
>
>I think the point here is that the solution to "John walked to the store"
>is turned inside out from a verb to a noun.  Create a noun (object) that is
>the result of the action performed.  Then you can add many properties to
>this object and talk about it.
>
>This also helps when trying to use CRUD functions on everything (in an
>attempt to follow REST principles).  Inside of "door.enter()" you can
>"Entrance.create()".  Once I've done that, I can then talk about (apply
>properties to) an Entrance, because it is now a Thing.
>
>Seth

SWAD-E http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe ------------ WAI http://www.w3.org/WAI
 21 Mitchell street, FOOTSCRAY Vic 3011, Australia  fax(fr): +33 4 92 38 78 22