RE: why query languages and RDF data have syntaxes?

From: Graham Klyne <GK@NineByNine.org>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 12:21:35 +0000
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Cc: "'www-rdf-interest@w3.org'" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

At 02:48 AM 12/1/02 -0500, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>As an inermediate layer, then, we still have two different approaches,
>meaning that authors of interfaces for people have to work out two ways of
>matching them to query engines.
>Is this diversity a good thing because it enables different kinnds of users,
>or just ebcause it enables different programmers to develop systems easier,
>or is it a problem?

FWIW, I think it's too soon to be trying to eliminate diversity in
("standardize") RDF queries.  In practice, I think the various query
approaches can be mapped reasonably easily, so I don't think different
queries create unbridgeable islands.  My own query mechanism ends up
reducing to an SQL-ish kind of approach.

Graham Klyne