RE: Non-Text Literals

From: Bill de hÓra <dehora@eircom.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 13:14:03 +0100
To: <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com>, <ashley@semantic.org>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

Ashley,

> What's the best way to do this?

Don't inline the photo as a literal.  Give the photograph a URL and
associate it with you:

  <rdf:RDF
    xmlns="http://semantic.org/whatever#"
  <Person>
    <name>Ashley Yakeley</name>
    <email>ashley@semantic.org</email>
    <photo rdf:resource="http://..."/>
  </Person>
  </rdf:RDF>

That way you don't need types or b64 embedded literals and no-one else
needs to know your conventions for lifting jpegs out of literals; they
just need to know HTTP if they want to see the picture.

> Patrick Stickler:
> Hopefully soon there will be a published WD from the RDF Core
> WG which will discuss this kind of datatyped literal in detail.

Patrick, I was hoping the wg would encourage us to give things URIs and
put them on the web, instead of trying to tunnel them through literals
via another type system.

Bill de hÓra
--
Propylon