Re: Layering LX (or FOL) on RDF

From: Seth Russell <seth@robustai.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 09:18:11 -0700
To: <sandro@w3.org>, "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Cc: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

From: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>

> Well, how does one forbid self-referencing sentences.  To do so, one would
> have to say something like
>
> _:s rdf:type rdf:Statement .
> _:s rdf:subject _:s .
>
> is not an RDF graph.

It seems to me that  "_:s rdf:subject _:s"  is not a self referencing
triple.  In fact I dont's see how you could even write a self referencing
triple in RDF at all, since RDF does not even provide for triples to have an
identity.  In the example above "_:s" is the identity of the thing of type
Statement, not the identity of the triple.

Help, I'm confused  ?

Seth Russell