Re: A Rough Guide to Notation3

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 19:58:56 +0100
To: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

>>>Paul Prescod said:
> RDF/XML: "the machine efficiency of XML with the readability of ASN.1"
> ;)

Blame XML for XML's efficiency, not applications of it.  So following
you, I'll pick some other random targets to poke fun at:

  SOAP: "the machine efficiency of XML with the readability of N3"

Apologies to N3 for that ;)

> If it isn't intended for human consumption then it should be
> machine-optimized binary.

Why not forward this comment to xml-dev?  They love talking about the
efficiency of XML, binary XML and have multi-month threads about it
now and then.

So how about protocols for machines such as email, HTTP which are not
machine-optimized binary?  That was a major reason the Internet and
Web won over earlier systems.  Such as those built with ASN.1 for
"efficiency" although having no "readability".  Promoting that is
going backwards.

Cheers

Dave