Re: A Rough Guide to Notation3

From: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>

> Comments on http://infomesh.net/2002/notation3/
>
> I have a serious problem with a document on N3 that starts out saying that
> N3 is a ``shorthand non-XML serialization of RDF''.  I view this statement
> as wrong and, worse, completely misleading.  Most uses of N3 that I have
> seen are not RDF.

True, but I think you are missing the big picture.  RDF is great as a
rigorously restrained language, and that is born out by comparing the
reliability of the corpora of  RDF/XML to the reliability of the corpora of
N3.  But let's not forget that both languages gain their usefulness from
simple labeled directed graphs.  Inevitably it is the labeled directed
graphs that we are wanting to communicate.   Restraints are good, but many
times they needlessly get in the way of simple communication.

Remember ....

   It *is* all about the graph !

Seth Russell
http://robustai.net/sailor/