Re: Using XMLSchema-instance attributes in RDF/XML Syntax

From: Janne Saarela <janne.saarela@profium.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 17:08:17 +0300
To: www-rdf-interest@w3.org
CC: robin.berjon@expway.fr

>> I agree. When developing our RDF based software we had to
>> support typing. The way we do it now is by referring to
>> XML Schema basic data types with URIs as rdfs:range values.
>>
>> Of course, basic data types are easy but applying facets
>> makes life trickier. Perhaps simpleTypes and complexTypes
>> could also be URI addressed within an XML schema file?
>

> Just a thought: would it be possible within your scheme to provide
> occurences of simpleType and complexType you wish to be addressable with
> ids and then refer to them invididually using a fragment in the URI?

Should be doable: the non-normative DTD [1] of schema structures
reminds me there's id attribute of type ID available for
complexType element. Same applies to simpleType in the other DTD [2].

I am not dreaming of implementing full XML schema validation
support in an RDF processor but certainly simpleTypes should
be a resonable thing to do. Perhaps Xerces has a modular
structure that would allow using only data type validation
specific parts. Experience, anyone?

Janne

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#nonnormative-schemaDTD
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#dtd-for-datatypeDefs
--
Janne Saarela <janne.saarela@profium.com>
Profium, Lars Sonckin kaari 12, 02600 Espoo, Finland