Re: Personal URI?

From: Seth Russell <seth@robustai.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 13:23:28 -0700
To: "Peter Bruhn Andersen" <bruhn.andersen@get2net.dk>, "RDF-interest" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

From: "Peter Bruhn Andersen" <bruhn.andersen@get2net.dk>

> "Can you create an URN for that person?  Possibly with a new URN space?"

I don't think that creating a URI (any type of uri) is the best solution.
Reason is that different entities who want to describe this person will tend
to create different URI for him or her.  RDF is all about our data being
interoperable.  See TimBl's graphs below .. switch back and forth between
arcs-1 and arcs-3 and see how the data from different sources merges
together.  But if you call this person <http://foo/bar#Jim> an his school
calls him <http://whatever.edu/students#Jim>, then the RDF systems will
think you and his school are talking about *different* people.  Me thinks it
is better to use bNodes and any  daml:UnambiguousProperty or just describe
the person as best you can:  See example below:

language: semenglish

[
type Person;
worksFor "Organization 1", "Organization 2";
fullName "John Joseph Jones".
]

Graphs from TimBl
<http://robustai.net/mentography/arcs-1.gif>