Re: Personal URI?

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 12:40:00 -0400 (EDT)
To: John Evdemon <jevdemon@acm.org>
cc: RDF-interest <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

No, I think this is very bad, since that URI may potentially be assigned and
point to something else.

One way the people are referred to is by eamil address - for example the
Friend-of-a-friend work refers to a thing of class person which has the
email address mailto:foo@bar - this works if the person has their own email
account. If they don't, it gets harder still. Essentially the power to give
things a name so you can refer to them in RDF is identical to the power to
create content on the Web - so you could create some decsription of a person,
send it to an archived email list, and refer to that (if you are happy with
the idea that a URI refers directly to a person, instead of using a #fragment
to point to the bit of the dereferenced document that explains that you mean
a person).

Cheers

Chaals