P3P rdf

From: Giles Hogben <giles.hogben@jrc.it>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 17:59:43 +0200
To: "Rigo Wenning" <rigo@w3.org>, "Brian McBride" <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, "Lorrie Cranor" <lorrie@research.att.com>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Cc: "Stephen Kenny" <stephen_mh_kenny@yahoo.com>
Hi,
I am thinking of working up a draft of a formal DAML/OIL ontology for data protection. This is as a preliminary to a meeting between various data commissioners and European DG's to discuss a European Standard for P3P policies based on the Art 29 WG recommendations (probably an APPEL ruleset + guidelines + example policies + validator initially) on May 27th. I am considering this (translated into as plain English as possible) as the starting point for the discussion as it should ease the translation between Data Protection Directive language and XML/P3P.

Another good reason for doing this is that I think we don't really have a formal ontology for Data Protection, and this would be an important prerequisite for any future versions of P3P + other AI type applications around data protection. Initially I am using a tool called "Oiled".

Any comments on this - am I barking up the wrong tree? Is there an existing version of this already? Or is it in fact a good idea?

Thanks

Giles

Giles Hogben
TP361
CyberSecurity Unit
Institute for the Protection and Security of the Citizen (IPSC)
European Commission - Euratom Centro Comune di Ricerca
Via Enrico Fermi 1
21020 Ispra,   Italy
Tel.:   +39 0332 789187
Fax.:   +39 0332 789576