Re: Disambiguation; keeping the "U" in "URI"

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 11:57:36 -0400
To: Bill de hÓra <dehora@eircom.net>
Cc: "'Mark Baker'" <distobj@acm.org>, "'Larry Masinter'" <LMM@acm.org>, "'Danny Ayers'" <danny666@virgilio.it>, msabin@interx.com, www-rdf-interest@w3.org
On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 02:45:27PM +0100, Bill de hÓra wrote:
> > There are several strings that can be used to identify me.
> > "Mr. Baker", "Mark", "Mark Baker", "Daddy",
> > "http://www.markbaker.ca/".  That last one is the > only one of
> > those strings that has a uniform meaning in all contexts.
>
> How does it have a uniform meaning in all contexts?

That's what a URI does.  What you get when you resolve it may vary
in different contexts (for example, you might get a WML representation
for a WAP browser, perhaps with less info and no pictures), but the
meaning - what it identifies, me - remains unchanged.

BTW, I forgot to point out before that "Daddy" isn't my name, but it
identifies me in some contexts.  "Mark Baker" is my name, and identifies
me in more contexts than "Daddy", but in some contexts it won't usefully
identify me at all (such as at a Mark Baker convention).

MB