Re: Disambiguation; keeping the "U" in "URI"

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 23:08:02 -0400
To: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Cc: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>, Nick Matsakis <matsakis@mit.edu>, www-rdf-interest@w3.org
Sandro,

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 04:43:06PM -0400, Sandro Hawke wrote:
> Clicking on a link in a hypertext system means "tell me more about
> this thing".  The "thing" is identified to the user in your example as
> "IBM".  The web tells you more about things by fetching and displaying
> web pages containing natural-language information about them.  Nowhere
> in the system is the thing itself formally identified, just the place
> where you can get some information.

As JonB responded to TimBL on www-tag, please tell me what it buys
me to make this distinction.  Because I can't find any spec that
tells me I can't do this; indeed, RFC 2396 says that anything with
identity can be assigned a URI.  And also, as I mentioned with my
IBM/Google example, people *do* make assertions about IBM the
company by making assertions about http://www.ibm.com.

MB