Re: Disambiguation; keeping the "U" in "URI"

From: Nick Matsakis <matsakis@mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 16:30:51 -0400 (EDT)
To: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Mark Baker wrote:

> Words like "web site" and "home page" just confuse discussions like
> this.  They're artificial.

When I sit down at my computer, I want it to understand the things I *deal
with*. These include people, documents, cars, websites, companies and so
forth. I don't think I am going out on a limb to suppose that, to a vast
majority of web users, a website is a real entity that they might want to
say things about and search for information on. I think it is clear we are
going to have to agree to disagree on how we name things, but you seem to
be saying that a "web site" is not a thing that is worth speaking about.

> then that's sufficient to establish that "http://www.ibm.com/"
> identifies the company.

I don't see why that follows at all.  "IBM" identifies the company, the
<a> is a link to the primary entry point of the company's website.

So, if I may ask a direct question of http://www.markbaker.ca, should URIs
be expected to refer to unique resources?

Nick Matsakis