RE: Documents, Cars, Hills, and Valleys

From: Joshua Allen <joshuaa@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 08:43:18 -0700
To: "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@comcast.net>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
> My take on this is that we are so far from understanding how people to
> the disambiguating that they do, and how they can come to understand
> meanings of words from common usage and circular definitions, that it
> be a long time before we can get the computers to do it except for
> cases - Cyc not withstanding.
> So we better plan on making the most of simple cases.  Which is what
> original Web did in the first place.

Exactly.  Saying "we can just infer the meaning of an identifier from
the context by using AI techniques" is like saying "who needs URLs, we
can just link up all of our hypercard systems by inferring context of
the hyperlinks contained within".  Both are theoretically possible, but
then URIs have the "U" for a reason.  They are not intended to be local.