RE: Documents, Cars, Hills, and Valleys

From: Joshua Allen <joshuaa@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 08:48:24 -0700
To: <msabin@interx.com>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
> In many, perhaps most, cases there's simply no problem, because
> implicit context is sufficent to resolve any practical ambiguity (eg.
> in the context of a GET, http://www.markbaker.ca/ will only ever refer
> to a document, rather than to Mark in the flesh). In others we have

This statement makes me think that you are missing the point of the
semantic web entirely.  In the context of a GET, you are using the WWW,
not the semantic web.  It's pretty simple, really -- the semantic web is
a way for people to make assertions about things, and know that they are
all talking about the same "thing" when they make assertions.
Therefore, we need a universal way to identify "things".  That way is
called URIs.