RE: Documents, Cars, Hills, and Valleys

From: Joshua Allen <joshuaa@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 14:32:04 -0700
To: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@mysterylights.com>, "Giles Hogben" <giles.hogben@jrc.it>
Cc: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
> But there are problems. In the Evaluation And Report Language [1],
> we're basically quite stumped as to what things are being evaluated.
> For example, we might have the following Webpage that talks about a

This is an awesome explanation of why we care about how people choose to
use http: identifiers.  The semantic web is about interoperable
metadata.  If the metadata can't flow, aggregate, and interoperate, it's
*not* going to be a semantic web.  Interoperability means that if I
aggregate 500 different assertions from different sources, all about
http://www.microsoft.com, I know that they all are talking about the
same "thing".  If I can't even guarantee that much, then all of this
semantic web talk is a waste of time.  I hope people can see from Sean's
example why this is such a fundamental thing to get out of the way.