RE: XML Schema vs DAML/RDF/RDFS

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> The example that came up, was my friend had graphs in his data (call graphs
> from a reverse engineering project). He was trying to get the RDF
> visualization tools to draw these graphs nicely.
>
> It struck me, that if we had good seemless implementations of DAML+OIL with
> RDF then we could add DAML+OIL axioms combining a schema for his call graphs
> with the schema for the visualization tools input in such a way that there
> could be a clear and clean separation of concerns:
>
> i.e. a picture like:
>
> [  My application ]        [                  ]
> [                 ]   ==>  [ application data ]
> [                 ]        [                  ]
>

>              [ application schema ]
>              [                    ]
>              [                    ]
>
>              [ DAML+OIL ontology  ]
>              [ linking axioms     ]
>              [                    ]
>
>              [tool schema         ]
>              [                    ]
>              [                    ]
>

> [ generic tool   ]       [            ]
> [ e.g. graph viz ]  <=== [ tool input ]
> [                ]       [            ]
>

> With appropriate tools and implementatations it should just be "shake 'n'
> bake".

Dan Connolly has soom tools in this vein, which have produced some nice
diagrams. It uses TimBL's CWM rdf-logic / rules engine.

See http://www.w3.org/2001/02pd/

example apps:

	 diagram of xml infoset structure
	 http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/infoset/

	 DockBook Publishing Model
	 http://nwalsh.com/docbook/procdiagram/index.html (by Norm Walsh)

> I still think we've a way to go as a community before we can evangelise
> effectively.

True. And for those not inclined to evangelise as such, we could still get
better at writing up our experiences (demos, code, data) with RDF and XML
technologies so others learn from what we've encountered while
implementing...

Dan