Re: Documents, Cars, Hills, and Valleys

From: Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 17:28:14 -0500
To: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>, RDF-Interest <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
To recap: TimBL is #2, RoyF is #3 and "it's both!" is #4.

> I think there's a very important tactical situation here.  #4 subsumes #2 and
> #3, so if we want interoperation between systems made by believers in #2
> (like TimBL) and those made by believers in #3 (like AaronSw, I think), we
> have to use #4.

Careful. TimBL can define his HTTP URIs to be anything, including his notion
of a document. #3 interoperates fine with that, although it doesn't go the
other way (#2 can't deal with #3 believers).

> Maybe I should just ask -- what can we do to prevent people from writing RDF
> in styles #3 and #4?  If you're someone who does that or wants to do that,
> how can we convince you not to?

That's rather cheeky. It seems that you and TimBL are in the minority here,
arguing against people like RoyF, MarkN, MarkB and DanC. I think you need a
better argument than "my belief can't co-exist with yours". Believing that
all URIs identify scrambled eggs doesn't interoperate either, that doesn't
mean that we all have to agree with it.