Re: Documents, Cars, Hills, and Valleys

From: Nick Matsakis <matsakis@mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 07:27:55 -0400 (EDT)
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Mark Nottingham wrote:

> Well, for starters, URI stands for "Uniform Resource Identifier"; that's
> a pretty strong indication of what they identify, IMHO. The UBI
> (Universal Bits Identifier) unfortunately didn't catch on.

Yes, but we're talking about URLs here, "Uniform Resource Locators".  No
matter how many times I GET http://www.mnot.net, your location doesn't
change.

> If you want to refer to bits, you can either explicitly state that the
> resource is eqivalent to the bits you get back, or you can define a
> property of the resource that points to the bits.

Yes, of course you can represent the bits in RDF.  My question was what
will you *name* them?  If http://www.mnot.net is your name, then what name
do you give the bits? urn:md5:12a173b... ?

Nick Matsakis